- Unbelievable game, well, sort of. Seeing the Hokies go down 20-0 was not that big of a surprise based on the displays we have seen this summer, but what a win for this team by storming back score 41 unanswered points. Just what the doctor ordered?
- Not the greatest performance by Thomas, but it was enough. He did throw an interception but was solid with 256 yards passing and two touchdown throws, while also adding 50 yards on the ground. The offensive line was pretty good on the day, but with the loss of junior center
- The defense did a nice job of settling in after a slow start. Two interceptions, five sacks and two fumble recoveries equal a victory in most cases. We still wait for 60 full minutes though.
- Not sure there has been a game Virginia Tech needed more than this one in the last few seasons. Could you imagine this team being 3-4, 1-2 in ACC after a loss to Duke with a game at Clemson next week? Tons of momentum now after this one.
- Virginia Tech fans have to be thrilled that North Carolina beat Miami 18-14. Now, the showdown with the Canes on Thursday, Nov. 1 could be the deciding game in the Coastal Division. Yes, the Hokies are still alive.
- Don't look now, but Maryland is 2-0 in the ACC. With games coming up against NC State, Boston College and Georgia Tech, the Terps could be in contention, serious contention, for the Atlantic Division title come November. How about freshman
- Florida State bounced back nicely with a 51-7 blowout win against BC. Now, a rivalry game at Miami next week. Can the Seminoles keep it going after the heartbreaking loss to NC State?
1. Just when West Virginia was about to convince me that its a national title contender, it lays and egg at Texas Tech, losing 49-14. Even if the team had a defense, it wouldn't have escaped. The offense could get anything going all day.
2. Florida all of a sudden jumps into national championship contention after its 31-17 win over Vanderbilt. South Carolina and the Mountaineers lose and UF is up to No. 3. Playing the Gamecocks and Georgia in the next two weeks will tell us all we need to know about the Gators.
3. I really thought Kansas State had a good chance of slipping up at Iowa State, but the country's No. 4 team did just enough. Prove how good you are next week in Morgantown.
4. Luck of the Irish for Notre Dame against Stanford. Very questionable on goal-line stand in overtime. They still have games at Oklahoma and USC on the schedule. But, the Irish look great on defense. ND still needs to find a quarterback.