Darryle Simmons is a Hokie
Virginia Tech has commitment No. 7 in the 2018 class. Philadelphia St. Joseph's Prep four-star wide receiver Darryle Simmons has joined the fold.
The 6-2, 197-pound Simmons is the No. 40 wide receiver and No. 194 overall prospect nationally, and the No. 8 rising senior in Pennsylvania. The big, physical receiver is a sure-handed target for one of the best teams in the Keystone State, leading St. Joseph's Prep to a 14-0 record last year.
For some time, Simmons looked like he may consider Virginia Tech only an afterthought in his recruitment, instead focusing on a couple programs - including Maryland and Penn State - a little closer to home. However, he announced a top six group that included the aforementioned trio plus North Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia, and visited Blacksburg shortly thereafter.
That trip, which he took with current VT commit Nasir Peoples and uncommitted tight end Kyle Pitts, sealed the deal for the Hokies. Peoples becomes the highest-ranked (in fact, first four-star) pledge in the class.
• Discuss the commitment with fellow Hokie fans on our premium message board, The Gobbler.
• Simmons talks about his reasons for becoming a Hokie.
• See the Virginia Tech recruiting class and Rivals.com Team Recruiting Rankings with Simmons in the fold.
• Take a look at Simmons's junior highlights here.
• Photos from Rivals camps over the years, in which Simmons impressed.
• The impact that Simmons will have on the 2018 class and the program in the long-term.
• Rivals Mid-Atlantic Analyst Adam Friedman opines on what Simmons brings to the program - with exclusive camp highlights.
• A breakdown of Simmons's strengths and weaknesses based on his film.
Stay tuned for much more to come on Simmons's commitment and everything VT related.